SizeCon 2023 Post Three: SLaMming

 

Just one of many pieces of original art by Capp.


SizeCon 2023 was the event where the Size Library and Museum (SLaM) made its public debut. Some things worked very well; there are others I want to improve for future Cons. 

I'll take any blame for anything that went wrong, but the credit for this goes to two men. SolomonG and legendary giantess artist Capp. SolomonG is the leading expert on Size in both pop and fetish cultures. I've had the pleasure of passing along research to him from some of the niches I cover. We've been in regular contact for years, sharing little gems we've found, bouncing ideas back and forth, and overall nerding out over Size.

Capp and I had bumped into each other a couple times on forums, but I didn't connect the knowledgable Size historian I was responding to with the person who drew some of the most powerful giant lady art I've ever seen.  

Thankfully, SolomonG set me straight.

Over the years Capp has put together a collection of original art. Not only his own pieces, but those drawn by friends in the community. He wanted it preserved for posterity. A wish he mentioned to SolomonG. I'm not certain how my name came into the conversation, but I was asked if I'd be interested in being a curator for them. After some conversations, Capp very generously trusted me with this treasure.

One of the things we all agreed on was that this material would be made available to the public. Capp was very keen to have them displayed at SizeCon as well as being made available for free online. The online part is going a little slowly. The art has been scanned, though there are some pieces that were too large for my scanner. Those have been done in parts. Those parts are being digitally sewn together even as we speak. At some point I'll get off my lazy ass and make a website to house them.

It was shortly before this that I started going down a Size memorabilia rabbit hole. I became obsessed with finding the script to an alleged sequel to Attack of the 50 Foot Woman. (Thanks, SolomonG for putting that bug in my ear. :) ) One that the original screenwriter claims to have written (possibly called Daughter of the 50 Foot Woman). I dug up an obscure reference to a copy being sold in a Hollywood bookstore years ago and tried my damnedest to find it.

I didn't.

What I did find was a world of Size movie memorabilia that I've slowly started accumulating. 

And the vintage postcards.

And the original film scripts.

I was already collecting comics, so that doesn't count, right?

One of the things I liked about SizeCon '20 was branching out into other areas of Size at my booth. Instead of only selling my (NSFW) books I brought along some size-y mainstream comics. If someone wasn't interested in NSFW content or my particular take on Size (we are big, we contain multitudes), I was still able to chat about the SFW comics. 

I wanted to share Capp's archive, but I wanted there to be other options. Our culture has been swimming in Size forever. There's an ocean out there; I've got a few drops to share.

I was already planning to rent a full booth at the next in-person SizeCon. The half table I had in 2020 felt a little cramped with the comics. It was a no-brainer to get the full table once I knew I had more to share. Through various circumstances I ended up getting bonus space. Two tables, side-by-side. I was effectively running two booths. The one where I was selling; and the one for sharing. 

Running one booth can be frantic. Two? It was challenging at times. But totally worth it. It felt so good being able to talk to people about this stuff without having to make a pitch or talk about things from memory. You like tiny ladies? Take a look at these pages from Divas and Dames. You've heard about Katherine Gates' Deviant Desires? Flip through my copy. If you like what you see, find a copy online and support her work. And did you know there were a metric buttload of Size postcards?

Not only did the SLaM get seen, it grew. I purchased prints and books from my fellow vendors. My budget wouldn't allow me to get a copy of everything everyone was selling, but I ended up picking up more than I normally do. Trying to reach outside the kinks I have, to include ones that other people would appreciate. 

I also received donations.

A complete set of the giant Monopoly money from Syrus Durham's escape room.

These cool Japanese sushi girl toys donated by Linkums.



This inspirational placard, also donated by Linkums.

The new 'zine Aborigen's getting off the ground.

More fun Aborigen stuff.


Robclassact's first book. Find a copy. Buy this.


Candrin's Commission Sheet

On the whole, I think it was well received. Things I need to work on in the future (other than getting a website up) are increasing the range of materials covered (a gentleman asked about gay male content, which I have next to none) and displaying the original art better. I have used some of the money I made selling books at the Con to buy some better portfolios. I'm fortunate enough financially to be able to turn the money I made at my table into improving SLaM. Either in getting better display supplies after the fact or buying things at the Vendors' Hall.

If you attended the Con and saw my booth, please let me know what you thought of it.

If you're interested in making a physical donation please send them to:

Joan Morgan
20 Highland Street
Laconia, NH 03246

I can be reached via e-mail at mr.taedis@gmail.com

Thank you and have a lovely rest of your internet.







Comments